Hello!

Welcome to my blog! This is a blog about my life -- mostly about my husband, me, and our life together. We got married in 2010, and we have had a great time so far with our life together. We dated for 4 years before getting married, and I can't say enough how JD is a Godsend to me and is the perfect life partner. I know God created him just for me. I hope you enjoy reading about our lives. Sometimes it is a bit average (maybe even boring to some), but we are content and enjoying it. I enjoy my job as a nurse. I also enjoy couponing, reading, crafting, playing with my Cricut machine, sewing, going to the movies, exercising, running, and many many other things. JD is an engineer for the Army and enjoys cars and trucks, but most of all, rebuilding and driving his 1966 Ford Bronco. He also loves bowling. He has alot of hobbies and interests, but those two dominate them all! :) I hope you enjoy following us!

Monday, August 29, 2011

1st Appointment

So, today we had our 1st IVF appointment   We made this appointment over two months ago.  Prior to that, we had some individual testing done, one of which included Cystic Fibrosis gene carrier status for me.  I am NEGATIVE for that, thank goodness!!!!  Anyway, so, we went to see Dr Inge from Mobile to talk to him about the In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) process that many "CF" (Cystic Fibrosis) couples have to journey to have a biologically compatible child.  You can learn more about IVF here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_fertilisation

We learned about how long the whole process from beginning to implantation of embryos would take (around 2 - 3 months).   We also learned some different options to consider for payment and price options.  We could do a program called ATTAIN, which is 3 fresh cycles, for a little more than the price of one fresh cycle.  If we do not get pregnant during those 3 cycles, they refund us around 70 % of our money back.   There is also something called a Share-Risk Program, where I will be stimulated to produce a bunch of eggs for IVF (normal for IVF procedure anyway).   If I make 8 or more eggs, they split the eggs down the middle and half are donated to a couple that otherwise would not be able to have kids.  I was kind of "iffy" on this at first, but after talking to a few friends and to the doctor, it is something I am considering.  Not only does it reduce the cost of IVF by 2/3 of the price (which is not the real issue here), but it also helps others that can't have kids without donor eggs.  Keep in mind, it would just be EGGS we share, not actually EMBRYOS.  Anyway,  the doctor said that "4" seems to be the magic number in developing eggs into embryos, so now I am not a firm believer in keeping all "x" amount of eggs that I have (whether it be 12, 25, or 40).  

I have to have a hysterosalpingogram (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterosalpingograph) before we actually start the IVF process.  Dr Inge said he will prescribe a pain pill and some Valium to use before the procedure, as it can be quite uncomfortable for some. 

Dr Inge also told me I was the perfect candidate for IVF, due to my young age and lack of OBGYN problems.  We really only have to do this due to the Cystic Fibrosis side of infertility -- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_fibrosis

So, anyway, now comes the time of fundraising and getting money for this whole process, since our insurance DOES NOT cover it.  We are currently working on a cookbook, yard sales, and coupon classes (because I LOOOOVE to coupon and wanna share my wealth of knowledge!!) .   If you would like to donate to our cause or help out in any way, please feel free to contact me! We would love all the help we can get to get some Lil Jenkins running around here! :)

Other than that, I also had to go to the walk-in clinic today b/c I had a fever at the OBGYN and was feeling kinda "icky" in the sinus area, anyway.   It appears that I have a sinus infection.  My strep test was negative (Thank you, Lord!).  So, please pray for me and for my healing, as we go on vacation this upcoming Saturday, and I want to be  able to relax and enjoy our time off and away from the daily routine here.  

Thanks for tuning in to our lives today!  Until later!
Love, Emily (and JD)  :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you guys! =) I hope it all goes quickly! We did a yard sale to earn a little extra cash to get our IVF process going. But I love the ideas you have too. I might have to steal some of them! =)

    ReplyDelete